We visit the toilet every single day but how many of us are following the etiquette of the Prophet Muhammad (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him)? So I thought I’d highlight some of my findings and in sha Allah we can slowly incorporate this into our daily lives.
Dua BEFORE entering:
[Bismillaahi] Allaahumma ‘innee ‘a’oothu bika minal-khubthi walkhabaa’ith.
[In the Name of Allah] . (Then) O Allah , I seek protection in You from the male and female unclean spirits
Dua AFTER exiting:
Ghufraanaka alhamdu lillaahillazi azhaba ‘annil azaa wa aafaanii.
I seek Your pardon, all praises are due to Allah who has taken away from me discomfort and granted me relief.
- Enter with your left foot
- Enter facing away from the Qiblah
Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) said that, ‘When any one amongst you squats for answering the call of nature, he should neither turn his face towards the Qibla nor turn his back towards it.’
- Any item (e.g. ring, locket etc.) that has the names of Allah (The Exalted) or His beloved Messenger (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) or any verse of the Qur’an, should be removed before entering the toilet. An Amulet (Ta’weez) can be worn as long as it is covered.
- Remain silent, but if a person outside is calling and does not know then cough thrice to make them aware. This includes the use of a mobile phone.
- Men in the toilet together, should not converse
- One should be very careful about the splashing of urine
- Use your left hand to clean yourself
Abu Qatada (may Allah be pleased with him) reported it from his father that, ‘The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) said that, ‘None of you should hold the private parts with the right hand while urinating, or wipe with the right hand in the privy.’
- Use an odd number of tissue (preferably three)
- After you have relieved yourself, wash your hands up to the wrists thrice.
- Exit with your right foot
in sha Allah may Allah SWT help us remember this daily.